Thursday 17 March 2011

Shaun Space- 'Numbers, Avatars and Jellyfish'

Armour- Tin, velvet and electricians tape
I was encouraged to make the suit of armour after seeing the fragility of a strong confident family member, we often need a helping hand emotionally, to up lift us and make us feel safe and secure. I had planned to do a performance with the suit of armour, but after making it I felt that it differed from my expectations of it and didn't feel comfortable enough with it to perform.

Steel, latex and fluorescent lights

On a recent trip to Australia I encountered dangerous animals, cyclone Yasi, flood devestation and deadly seas. This really emphasised the true power of nature. I was previously looking at the female form, so I chose the jellyfish to represent 'Mother Nature' as I felt it had feminine charcteristics: beauty, power, vulnerability and mystery. The jellyfish is made from steel on a large scale, it is subtly lit and has rather an alien presence. After witnessing the recent devastation in Japan I feel that the subject of 'Mother Nature' and its power is now extremely topical, I aim to construct an army of these creatures to remind man of the wonders and powers of nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment